Chiller Removal Project
R. Baker & Son was recently involved in a selective demolition project at a large pharmaceutical facility requiring the removal of a chiller, chilled water piping, and other equipment from an existing mechanical room. Before work began, all system piping, electrical, and controls slated for demolition were identified and clearly marked to prevent removal of unrelated piping and equipment.
A hot work permit was acquired and a detailed task hazard analysis (THA) was compiled outlining potential risks and specific safe-practice requirements for the individual project tasks. As a safety measure the entire crew are required to sign off on the detailed THA or JSA (job safety analysis) as it is also known. At the daily toolbox meeting the project manager reviewed all aspects of the job and made sure all employees are up to date and informed.
Once the equipment was de-energized and air gapped, slings were set for rigging in a safe and appropriate distance from the hot work. Workers were able to utilize oxy acetylene torches to cut chilled water pipes and associated equipment. Crew members then utilized a fork lift, scissor lift, and come-along to rig the cut pipe elbow. Once the piping and equipment were prepared into managable sizes, they were placed on skates, and rolled from the building.
Pipe segments, equipment, and other project debris were rigged onto a waiting 40-ft flatbed truck and transported for proper recycling and/or disposal.
Demolition Contractors in New York
- Surgical Demolition Project - Turbine Generator - New York (NYC)
- Fulton Fish Market Dismantling / Demolition Project NY - New York, NY
- R. Baker & Son Curtain Wall Projects - New York, NY
- Port Mobil Tank Farm & Builidng Demolition - Staten Island, NY
- World Trade Center Transportation Hub Project - WTC NYC
- Restoration of the United Nations - NYC
- Kings County Hospital - Tri State Area
- JFK'S American Airlines Terminal Demolition - New York
Trucking / Warehousing
Demolition Contractors in New Jersey
Plant and Machinery Movers
- United Nations: Moving The World's Treasures - Manhattan, NYC
- Facility Of The Year Award (FOYA) for Pharmadule Project - New Jersey
- Rigging Fire Truck at 9/11 Memorial Ceremony - Manhattan, NYC
- Domino Sugar: A Slice of History - Brooklyn, NY
- USS Intrepid - Manhattan, Pier 86, NYC
- Petrochemical Plant: Rigging & Dismantling - New Jersey
- Colgate Palmolive - Jersey City, NJ
- Dismantling and Rigging, Plant Relocation Project - New Jersey
- Complex Rigging in Pharmaceutical Plant - NJ